Invision Community
FORUMS BLOG/NEWS USER BLOGS USER MEDIA ADVERTS   ADD  MANAGE CHAT CLUBS & USER PERSONAL FORUMS LINK EXCHANGE
JOB SEARCH Job Search Online Work From Home Online Moms Work At Home Online Part Time Work At Home Online Find An Employee Online Job Application Form Online Search for Employers Paid Surveys Work From Home Comparison
Sign in to follow this  
lancelotarnold

What It’s Really Like To Be A Work-At-Home Mom 1

It’s 9:45 p.m. and my eyelids are starting to droop as I fix a typo in my first paragraph. My son calls from his bedroom, “Mom! I’m scared! Can you come lay with me?” I ask my husband to go in my place. I have a deadline first thing in the morning, and I have to get this done before my brain turns to mush.

“But I want Mommy!” my son cries.

“She’s busy working, sweetie,” my husband tells him.

My heart lurches a bit. An image of my son sitting in a therapist’s office someday flashes before my eyes. “My mom was always ‘busy working,’” he says, rocking back and forth in the fetal position on the couch.

Dramatic, I know. But the guilt that comes along with working from home is real, and was something I never really expected.

From the time I was very young, I’d always dreamed of being a stay-at-home mom. I figured I’d work for a while, then get married, have kids, and make motherhood my full-time gig.

I did work for a while, and then I got married, but when our first baby came along, we couldn’t really afford for me not to work at all. So I started a small editing business from home, which allowed me to bring in a little cash and keep up my professional skills. After a while, I wanted more regular work, so I started doing online tutoring. I set my hours around my husband’s schedule, and it all worked well.

Fast-forward 15 years, and I’ve had at least seven work-from-home jobs, usually more than one at time. It’s been great for the most part. I do get the best of all worlds — getting to make my own schedule, being able to be with my kids during the day, keeping my foot in the door professionally, and contributing to the household income. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been able to find work I can do from home all these years.

JOB & DISTANCE LEARNING Distance Learning University Graduate Degree Online Bachelor Degree Online Distance Degree Online Master Degree Online Online Courses MBA Degree Online Online School Associate Degree Online